mentor ministry model
knxshn – mentor ministry proposal
this is something that I proposed for two reasons. 1) Many men and women relapse due to not being connected to “healthy” community, and 2) I observe that many VH disciples fall the cracks of the typical church assimilation system. So the big idea was to bring the assimilation system to them. It would have be a little more work than usual but can you put price a building into the healthy life of contributing member of body of Christ.
anyhow, when all was said the proposal got not traction with Shoreline Church of San Clemente leadership but the hope is to float out to anyone else desiring a focused life rehabilitating addiction as well as dysfunction outreach in their Church. rework and adopt it as you see fit.
- Explain the vision of the proposed ministry.
Whom are you serving?
“Lifelines” serves Victory House (VH) residents (i.e., men from all walks of life whose lives are in disrepair because of debilitating addictions, criminal records, homelessness, and/or mental health issues) in the second phase of our reconciliation ministry/rehabilitation program who have recognized psychological, emotional, adjustment, and/or financial obstacles crippling their sanctification process.
“Lifelines” serves the dual purpose of guarding VH residents against relapse while also facilitating the encouragement and stability of Christian community in a crucial stage of their sanctification process
Eligible Shoreliners of authenticated spiritual integrity as well as genuine love who are fit to contribute their gifts in the capacities of transformative mentors, counselors, and advisors.
- “Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success.” Proverbs 15:22
What will the result of your ministry be?
“Lifelines” will result in:
1) VH residents conquering crippling, if not paralyzing, mental, emotional, financial, and spiritual states.
2) Shoreliners enriching the work God is doing at Victory House.
3) glorifying God the Father.
2. Function of ministry
The primary purpose is to provide Christ-centered:
- Encouragement that arouses and deepens faith.
- “But exhort one another every day, as “long as it is called ‘today,’ that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.” Hebrews 3:13
- Fellowship that stimulates perseverance.
- “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” Hebrews 10:24-25
- Accountability that confronts sin, provokes critical thinking, and gives rise to thoughtful God-honoring actions.
- “As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.” Proverbs 27:17
In summary, “Lifelines” ministry channels an outpouring of holistic Holy Spirit nurture, knowledge, experience, and services into VH residents. Thereby, increasing the odds of VH residents reaching their full potential in Christ, enriching the Victory House ministry, and glorifying God the Father.
- Explain how this ministry is compatible with the mission statement of the church (“Follow Jesus: Love. Listen. Obey.”).
Lifelines ministry is well suited to the mission of the church to follow Jesus by providing an opportunity to love, listen, and obey. The biblical sense of church “love” is commitment to sacrificial action for the well-being of another. This Christian nuance of “love” manifests in relationships of mutual endearments and also as “charity,” i.e., voluntary giving of help to those in need.” Lifelines” delivers an opportunity to heed and obey God’s divine entrustment to “love” the men of Victory House (James 2:8).
- How or why do you feel you have been called to this ministry?
We regularly pray for the spiritual development of VH residents. We also regularly pray for insight and vision as to how to develop VH ministry within our sphere of influence, purposefully seeking ways to increase the ministry’s effectiveness. “Lifelines” ministry is an answer to prayer along these organizational development opportunities. Consequently, we feel that we have been called to forge the “Lifelines” channel because of its latent potential.